Blackberry & Apple Crumble
Embrace this seasonal classic, collect some blackberries from the hedges and windfall apples and celebrate the end of summer with this warming recipe for the cooler evenings.
- 300 gram Blackberries remove stalks and rinse
- 450 gram Apples these can be any type and windfalls, rinse, peel and core
- 50 gram Light Brown Sugar
For the crumble
- 60 gram Oats whole or rolled oats
- 175 gram Wholemeal Plain Flour
- 110 gram Unsalted Butter
- 110 gram Demerara Sugar
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6
Pop the apples in a saucepan add a tablespoon of water cook until soft, when cooked stir in the blackberries and the light brown sugar. Place this in an oven proof dish.
To make the crumble topping, rub together the butter and flour until it looks like breadcrumbs, stir in the oats, nutmeg and demerara sugar
Place the crumble on top of the blackberries and apple, place in the oven and bake for approx 30 mins, until the top is golden brown.
Serve with custard, or cream this is also fantastic hot or cold.